2024 OMNI Scholarships
Scholarships are now open until Wednesday, May 15 at 1:00 p.m. ET
About the Scholarship
The OMNI TV Scholarship Program invests in talented students pursuing post-secondary studies in a journalism-related field and are interested in careers in ethnic and third-language journalism, providing them with financial support.
Number, Value, and Duration of Scholarship
Ten (10) scholarships will be available at the bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or diploma program. These scholarships are valued at $2,000 CAD each, valid for one academic-year.
You are eligible if you are:
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada as of the application date.
- Planning to start or continue full-time studies in your bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or diploma program in a journalism-related field.
Eligible post-secondary institutions:
- You can study at Canadian educational institutions that have recognized degree, diploma granting powers or their affiliates (e.g., universities, colleges/CEGEPs)
Fields of Study Program Requirements:
This scholarship is open to students studying in journalism-related fields at a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or diploma program. Those programs include:
- Communication Studies
- Media Studies
- Radio and Television
- Film Studies
- You must use the scholarship in the academic year for which it is awarded.
How to Apply?
To apply for the scholarship, please submit an online application no later than Wednesday, May 15 by 1:00 p.m. ET, by visiting this link.
- Personal Statement: These statements can be presented either in written or video form. Written submissions are limited to 300 – 500 words, while video submissions should not be longer than 5 minutes. Applicants should upload their video to YouTube, ensuring it is set to public access (configure in privacy settings), and provide the link to the video in the text box below.
- Motivation: Can you share a key personal experience or influence that ignited your passion for ethnic and third-language journalism and how you plan to contribute to this field in your career?
- Resilience: Tell us about a particular moment in your life, whether in your volunteer work, family experiences, overcoming challenges, or adapting to different living situations, where you showcased resilience or adaptability. How has this specific experience influenced your capacity to confront uncertainties, and how do you foresee leveraging these qualities in shaping your path toward a career in journalism?
- Impact: Tell us why you should be selected as the recipient of the OMNI TV Scholarship, AND if selected, what would receiving this award mean to you.
- List of Volunteer, Community, or Extracurricular Activities: Applicants will be required to provide a list of their most recent activities.
Remember, your application must be complete to be evaluated, and deadline extensions will not be granted. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to safe senders in your junk email options so that you continue to receive important messages from SPC.
If you have questions, please contact SPC.
Applications are assessed on the quality and relevance of the motivation, resilience, and impact statements.
- The selection of scholarship recipients is made by OMNI’s Advisory Councils.
- Volunteering and evidence of civic engagement will be considered an asset during the selection process.
- All applicants will receive the results of the selection process by email.
You will receive scholarship confirmation in August. When you receive your confirmation, complete the online acceptance process, and submit any necessary documentation, which includes proof of registration from your educational institution.
Successful applicants should expect that their name and photograph, if requested, may be used in promoting the scholarship or OMNI’s educational initiatives.
Payment will be made after the acceptance process and document review. It can take 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the method of payment chosen. Funds will be sent to your educational institution on behalf of the sponsor.
Please make sure to pay your tuition fees within the defined time frame, regardless of the timing of scholarship payment. Your institution will reimburse you according to their normal practices.
We will communicate with you through your student portal account. Be sure to keep contact information up to date and to notify us of any changes.
OMNI Television has entrusted the administration of its scholarship program to SPC, a division of Universities Canada. We administer over 140 scholarship programs for corporations, government agencies, and private foundations in North America and are affiliated with top companies in almost every sector of the economy. For more details, please visit www.univcan.ca. Rogers Media Inc. retains the right to change and/or end the sponsorship of the scholarship plan without notice.