Edo Kai Tora
1 stick of melted unsalted butter
1 oven safe baking vessel (10 X 12X2)
For the Base
- 1 450gr. pkge. of phyllo (thawed overnight in the fridge and then take out 15 mins. before use)
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of two oranges
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- splash of orange liqueur
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Pre-heated 350F
- Thinly slices your oranges. Place a large pot of water on your stove-top and bring to a boil. Place the orange slices in the post and bring back to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes and then drain. Repeat this step two more times (this removes the bitterness from the white pith). Reserve your orange slices.
- Place water and sugar in a wide pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add orange slices and simmer, turning oranges occasionally, for 30 to 40 minutes or until oranges are soft and beginning to look translucent. Transfer slices to a rack to cool, reserving syrup. If syrup is not thick enough then boil down until it thickens as it is the glaze for the oranges.
- Pre-heat your oven and gather all your ingredients (mise en place). Take out your thawed phyllo from the fridge and allow 15 minutes for it to come to room temperature. In the meantime, melt your stick of butter in a small pot and set aside.
- Using a brush, grease your baking vessel with the melted butter. Brush a sheet of phyllo and sprinkle some sugar and ground cinnamon lightly and evenly. Now using your fingers, pinch the phyllo to create a fold and continue to pinch and fold until you have created a ruffled (accordion) affect with the sheet of phyllo. Lay the ruffled phyllo lengthwise into the baking vessel. Repeat with about six or seven more sheets of phyllo or until the base is covered with your rows of ruffled phyllo. Reserve the remaining phyllo sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in your pre-heated oven. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, add the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until incorporated. Now add your vanilla extract, orange zest, orange liqueur and whisk again. Now add the salt, baking powder, yogurt, vegetable oil and whisk until incorporated. Mix in the raisins. Now using your hands, tear the remaining sheets of phyllo and add into the bowl. Mix well with a spatula and then pour over your baked ruffled phyllo base.
- Place in your pre-heated oven (middle rack) for 35-40 minutes or until light-gold on top.
- Pour your cold syrup over the hot Portokalopita one ladle at a time. Allow the pie to fully cool before cutting and serving. Arrange cooled candied oranges on the Portokalopita before serving.
NOTE: For a variation: try this recipe with lemons in place of oranges.