Curried "Cataplana" - Portuguese Version >>
A tasty recipe doesn’t get any easier than this.
- Curry or spice mix to taste (nutmeg, curry, cumin, etc.)
- Half an onion cut into slices
- 1 pepper cut into pieces
- 1 tomato cut into slices
- 1 pinch of parsley
- 1 pinch of dried hot pepper
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch of Cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2cup of tomato paste, or to taste
- Half of a chicken, cut into pieces
- A few potatoes cut into pieces
- Olive oil to taste
- White wine to taste
- The ingredients that go into the ‘cataplana’ are layered, starting with the sliced onions on the bottom of the ‘cataplana’, and then continue to layer it with the sliced peppers and sliced tomatoes. Add in all the other ingredients into the ‘cataplana’. The chicken goes into the 'cataplana' last. Do not add in the potatoes until the chicken cooks for a bit.
- Close the 'cataplana' and put it on the stove. It takes about 45 minutes to cook completely. After about 20 minutes on the stove, add in the cut potatoes, and let it cook for the remainder of the time. When the chicken has cooked and the sauce is reducing taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- After 45 minutes, check that the chicken and the potatoes are cooked. The food can be served in the ‘cataplana’ (a wet cloth folded thick can serve as a base to steady the round bottomed ‘cataplana’).
Your dish is ready to be served. Enjoy!
Your dish is ready. Enjoy!